Thursday, June 23, 2011

Snow and Mud in the Cascade Mountains

We got stuck. In the mud. In the snow and the mud and the snow. We never thought we were going to get out. As the sun set over the North Cascades I thought to myself "Hold on a second...is this bear country?" We were in the car for what seemed like hours. We talked about magnetic fields and what's going to happen in the year 2012. The dog slept peacefully in the back seat. This was all a game to her. But it wasn't a game to us. It was survival.

The minutes turned into hours and still we talked. I peaked my head out the car window and saw a sea of stars. Stars sown in the sky. Planted by hand. Thousands plucked from their strings and strewn across the heavens.

And still us in the snow and the mud and the snow.

Finally the trees to the left of the car lit up with light. I thought it was a UFO. The light got brighter and brighter and then I realized it was just the truck we had called to help us. A trusty friend with a trusty truck. Where I had struggled for several hours using rocks to pound other rocks under the tire he got us out in two minutes. The adventure was over. We were not going to die. And we were out of bear country.

No comments:

Post a Comment